Review: BookSpeak! Poems About Books by Laura Purdie Salas

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): And Thou Bethlehem by Mychael Danna [Nativity Story soundtrack].



My reviews are a bit different than most. As an undercover superhero (ordinary girl extraordinaire), my purpose is to try and uncover hidden gems lost from the familiar radar. Because of this, I have set up some guidelines for myself (just like the pirate code). :)

I will focus on YA and Children's literature (with very rare exceptions).
I will not review any book that is one of the top 25,000 bestselling books (based on Amazon ranks).
I will try and aim for books 100,000 or larger.
I will review recent books or books of great merit (preferably both).




BookSpeak! Poems About Books by Laura Purdie Salas (author) & Josee Bisaillon (illustrator)
Published: October 25, 2011
Publisher: Clarion Books
Pages: 32
Current Amazon Rank: #216,438

Author's Website: Laura Purdis Salas, Josee Bisaillon
Want it? Find it here.



The First Line:


Calling All Readers




My Take:

This book is a wonderful little gem, especially for any readers/lovers of words in your life. It is both more and exactly what it seems. The illustrations are vivid and whimsical, but also offer a hidden depth the more you lose yourself in them. Another thing I loved, like Zorgamazoo the typography plays a key part, making this a visual feast. And the words. These seemingly simple poems are something to savor, a joy to let them roll over your tongue and drift over your mind.

There are 21 poems here, each one taking on a different personality of aspect of a book, say, a character left on a cliffhanger, a cover, an index, or a bookplate.


Book Plate

I don't need your napkin.
I'm not your soup bowl's mate.
I don't want your peas or bread.

I'm not that kind of plate!

Write your name upon me.
I'm a paper love tattoo.
Paste me in your book to show

that I belong to you.

--Laura Purdie Salas, all rights reserved


These voices, like the index arguing why it is the best while gently slamming the table of contents or the banter of the middle part of a novel with the beginning and the end both surprised and delighted me. I have at least one other book of poetry based on books (I really need to review it for you soon) but I knew I had to have this one the moment I finished reading it. There was something that resonated about these words and made only brighter by the illustrations. Often I had to set the book down and pause for a moment after reading one. A beautiful collection and highly recommended if you love pictures or poems. (And not a bad gift if you don't get what you want for Christmas). ;)







The Final Word:

Wonderful, unique illustration enhance an even more powerful set of poems touching every aspect of a story. It positively delighted me. Fun, thoughtful, and powerful, I knew I had to have this one the moment I finished.




1 comments:



Tales of Whimsy said...

It sounds wonderful and what a delightful cover.