WriterGirl Does Research, Climbs a Tree, and Gets Scratched

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): The Voice by Celtic Woman/Lisa Kelly.

I haven't climbed a tree in five years, or more. Loved it as a kid (for some reason, I do not have the "fear of heights" gene in me at all, much to the dismay of parents, college roommates, and anyone who has cared for my welfare at any point). I still love climbing trees. And with my newest project I've been editing/writing, I have a little boy who loves to climb trees. So who am I to deny an authentic experience for better "research purposes" (i.e. having fun). :)

So off to the park I went, gallumphing all the way. I scouted out for the perfect tree. After fifteen minutes, I found it. It was tall, it was beautiful, and had just the right spacing to climb up, in, and around.

What I didn't count on was the little branches.

You know the kind I'm talking about, the little twig-like ones you use for kindling in campfires and poking bugs. Well, they had to grow on a tree at some point. Somehow, in my mind I imagined all my trees without them (hence why doing the fun, nitty-gritty research is so important). Silly, silly me. That plus the fact I tried to move a dead limb and push it out of the tree while I was still in it. I was afraid it would fall on some poor unsuspecting kid. Wrestling a dead tree limb from live tree limbs is like trying to wrestle an alligator one-handed. That was how I got this scratch.

Of course, being fascinated by just about everything, I took notes of the color, texture, and everything about it. I didn't want to wipe it off at all. That and the fact that I hadn't even considered bringing band-aids and I certainly wasn't climbing down thirty feet for such a simple thing as that.

Sadly, no picture from up in the tree. Trust me, there was no way I could have climbed that with a camera. Managing all of my body parts was hard enough. But it was incredibly fun, I got a ton of research in, and I got to feel like a kid again, scratches and all. :)

(me in a different tree. And one of my favorites to climb in the whole wide world).


KM said...

Haha sad day about the cuts, but yay for conquering the tree! I've never been a tree climber myself. None of the ones in my yard growing up had branches low enough for climbing. Love the picture of you in the tree. I think I'd make it my FB profile pic if I were you. lol ;)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

You little ninja you.
You look like Katniss up there.
Get down, put on your super cool Katniss costume, and climb back up for a photo shoot ;)

vivian said...

Very impressive. Research, FTW!