Top Ten Books for Reluctant Readers

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now) The Dance/Bye Merrylegs by Danny Elfman [Black Beauty soundtrack].





Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every Tuesday a new top ten list on various topics is revealed. There’s also a Top Ten Tuesday page where see past and upcoming topics.

This week is:

Top Ten Books You’d Hand To Someone Who Says They Don’t Like To Read








Holes by Louis Sachar. It's funny, different, easy to get into, and absolutely absorbing once you are inside. The three (possibly four) plot-lines all converging is a fantastic piece of storytelling and had my little jr. high mind geeking out over it for days.


Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. This book. I don't know how you cannot love reading after finishing this. The only exception I can think of is if you don't like fantasy (and really even then it's doubtful. This is one that crosses barriers). All of Diana's stuff I would recommend to a reluctant reader. She is a jewel.


The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. Great storytelling starts and ends with Megan Whalen Turner. It may take years for a new book to come out, but I promise you, I have never once been happier at the prospect. Every book is worth it. And The Thief is the perfect place to jump in for any person, lover or hater of books. It is fantastic.


The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. This story is both beautiful and rich, with layer upon layers of meaning hidden underneath just waiting to be found, but it can be enjoyed on any level. It is in its simplicity that makes it so powerful. I might also recommend The Screwtape Letters by C.S Lewis to go hand in hand with this, depending on age and personality.


Airborn by Kenneth Oppel. Pirates, airships, high-seas adventure and the promise of a scientific discovery that could change the world? This has something for everyone.


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins/Harry Potter by JK Rowling/Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Depending on the personality type. These are hugely popular for a reason.


Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry. Non-stereotyped Asian leads, a post-zombie apocalypse with one of the most unique approaches to zombies I've ever encountered? This is five-hundred pages but I flew threw every one of them.


Flight by Kazu Kibuishi [editor] - lots of different art styles, humor and they are all short stories so nothing is too daunting or intimidating. Similarily, if they like graphic novels, I would also probably try and get them hooked on Masashi Kishimoto's Naruto series. Ninjas, high action and plenty of engaging characters for everyone.


Hidden Talents by David Lubar. This is a bit of an unknown book that has a lot to offer. Fitting in, feeling like a freak (they are at a last-stop troubled youth school where even the freaks call them freaks), finding friends, and discovering they may have abilities that are partly to blame for getting them to that place.


The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger or Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein. Think books have to be all seriousness and moral lessons? Think again!


Something specific to the person in mind. My little caveat. ;)

8 comments:



Jana said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Airborn!! And The Thief! Good choices.

Jenna St. Hilaire said...

I love Howl's Moving Castle! So much. And there are other great ones on your list, too--Harry Potter and Twilight both made it onto mine as well, and I considered adding Diana Wynne Jones but ran out of room.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to read some Megan Whalen Turner. Maybe when I finish Percy Jackson...

Trish said...

Holes is a great pick!

Unknown said...

Great list! There is seriously something here for everyone. And I have Origami Yoda in my book bag right now!

Amber said...

I've read some of these but a lot I haven't checked out. I have a feeling Twilight/The Hunger Games/Harry Potter made a lot of lists.

My Top Ten

Melissa said...

Awesome list! I totally should have thought of Holes...and Airborn too! Or the Silverwing series, which I think I liked even more than Airborn.

Heather Zundel said...

Jana - Thank you! The Thief is one of my "oh my gosh amazing books." :)

Jenna St. Hilaire - You're in good hands with MWT. And Howl's Moving Castle! How could someone not love it, right?


Trish - I thought so. It is one of the books that turned me from a "being read-to reader" into a reader on my own.


Katie - Thank you! :D That is a high compliment indeed.


Amber - I'm positive they did. I lumped them together because they are all well-known for making readers. I appreciate every one of them for that.


Melissa - I actually haven't read his Silverwing series yet! You liked it more than Airborn you say?... :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Airborn was great. I agree. SO with you on Harry Potter. I reallly really need to try Howl's Moving Castle. I keep hearing awesome stuff about it.