A Book Released Into the Wild - World Book Night

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): Peponi by The Piano Guys.





On Monday, something really cool happened. It was World Book Night, where secret people of pure awesome gave out books to random strangers, for free for one night. These are the real super heroes.

It was created with the intent of giving people something else to do that evening, and perhaps open a book for the first time in years.

There was a list of books available, and if you got in on the action early, publishers would send you paperback copies of the book for free to distribute. Books like Little Bee, Ender's Game, The Book Thief, Kindred, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian, The Stand, Housekeeping, and so many others.

I loved this idea. I loved it so hardcore I wanted to hug my screen and shout for joy. But there was a slight kerfuffle for me. Most of these books were already really well known. I wanted to do my part as my self-appointed description of ordinary girl extraordinaire dictated. There were some great gems of stories being overlooked, and I wanted to help them out.

The problem was trying to decide which one to do. There are so many amazing stories out there. I finally decided on one that is so overlooked, I don't think the series will ever be finished. Leaving the Bellweathers by Kristin Clark Venuti. She used to have an adorable website, but even that has disappeared recently. I loved the story and I thought the characters both hilarious and endearing. And from my interview with her, the fact she wanted to write good and happy things because there is plenty of tragedy already in the world made my heart go pitter pat.

So it was decided. And I already knew the perfect place to drop it off for someone else to find. Now as far I know, you're actually supposed to physically hand your book to someone, but I loved the idea so much of leaving it, seemingly abandoned, as a gift from one anonymous friend to another like so much fun, I had to do it. So I went to the park where I grew up.

It was a bit of a drive admittedly, but worth it. This place was such an enormous part of my childhood. It is large, with so many nooks and crannies, hills and hidey places to freak any parent out, but it was paradise to me. A lot has changed since then. The stone dolphin and Beluga whale are now gone. The ginormous swings have been replaced by a tamer, safer variety, and everything has a new coat of paint. Also, the trees are taller. Those at least have grown up with me. But it still felt like home.

Walking around a park childless, especially with a camera, is always a slightly unnerving task. Parents eye you a whole lot more closely (which doesn't make it any easier to drop of said book gift). Luckily I am a girl, so that helps a little. I just try to put on my most sincere face of innocence possible and the parents lower their hackles. For the most part.

So I wandered for a bit, trying to find the perfect spot for my treasure. You can't see it in this picture, but a gorgeous tree near the entrance was bursting in pink blossoms. There was a sun's ray hallowing it, I swear.

So I placed my book, took as fast a picture as I could, and then disappeared.







It was still there when I got to my car. I hope someone found it and enjoys it as much as I did. Mission accomplished. :)


2 comments:



Meg said...

What an awesome idea!I wish I had heard about this! I will have to look out for this next year! :)

Cara said...

Talk about brightening someone's day!