I WISH I'd had classes like this!

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): The Cave by Mumford and Sons.







I love this. Can I say how much I love this? I LOVE this. It's a program called One School, One Book and it is exactly what it sounds like. An entire school reads a book and does projects, classes and extracurricular activities to incorporate it across the curriculum. The one that first introduced me to this and had me jumping up and down and screaming myself giddy was Lakeshore High School, which recently did The Hunger Games as their pick for One School, One Book.


The night was filled with informative and fun displays that educated those not familiar with the "One Book, One School" program. Talented music students attended to perform their original compositions about "The Hunger Games" and the theme of survival that dominates the series. There were also several "experiments" in the science wing dedicated to Suzanne Collins’ novel.


Yes. That IS a wood girl in a science lab. On FIRE.


Oh the possibilities! Seriously, I wish I had had something like this when I was in elementary/jr. high/high school. Yeah, I'm sure some of the assemblies could be very lame, but the benefits are seriously outweighing the potential dumb parts (again, refer to girl on fire. I would have killed to have a chemistry class like that!).


I'm already imagining other books. Astronomy with Across the Universe, the mechanics and physics of moving a castle (Howl's Moving Castle), cloning and social classes (House of the Scorpion), Graceling gym class O.O ...


Which book would you have liked to have had across the board classes about in high school? Anything coming to mind?

2 comments:



Unknown said...

How COOL! Maryland does "One Maryland, One Book" and everyone across the state reads the same book. This year's is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian and this post just got me so excited to figure out ways to connect the book to different content areas. Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

clairedelune said...

This is cool! I would have loved to do The Queen of Attolia in high school.