Adventures in Disney World - Animal Edition

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): Do You Know The Way To San Jose by Dionne Warwick.








If you were here with my on my last covert mission to Disney World, you will realized I made a grave error. I *thought* my mission was to find the last hand flush toilet in the parks, since they didn't seem to exist anywhere. Turns out - they're everywhere! First time I was there I did not find a single one, save for my awe-inspiring moment on the second floor of Pizza Planet in Hollywood Studios.



Yes, I took a picture of it. I needed proof, people.




This time, I think the ratio was 70-30 in favor of the flush variety. But in the converse, I made every single bus walking on them save for four (or run on, as a couple of the cases were). So I'll take the trade off. :)


And it turns out my camera with the extra SD card is not currently in my possession, so some of my more candid shots will have to wait until later. BUT. I have some awesome photos to show you, well, because animals are just cool. No, I never grew out of being a little kid.




The best time to go on Kilimanjaro Safari? First thing in the morning, especially if you have early hours because you're staying on Disney property.* Why? Because they feed them first thing in the morning and that is when they are the most active. So instead of a lump of a sleeping lion, you get a shot like this


He was totally posing by the way. I'm not kidding.



Catch me on my good side.





See? They like being out when there's food.




The second time I went on the safari, as we rounded the "savanna", we came upon a sight that shocked even our tour guide. A giraffe was chasing a wildebeest. All of the cars had to stop. Which was fine by me because I was snapping as many photos as I could in the early morning light. This set off a mini stampede of over half the giraffes (but not the reticulated giraffes. They were as calm as cats munching on their leafy greens). It was something beautiful to see.







I know some people think giraffes look silly or absurd when they run, but I think it is stunning and all kinds of cool for something to even move like that.








And I caught this guy sunbathing. What I wouldn't give to see one of these guys run. :) (If you want to see a weird run, type in "komodo dragon running" into youtube or some other video sharing site. Now that's a strange run. But don't begrudge them that. They can outstrip humans easy with, going over 30 mph).





























*Second best time to go? 5:00 PM or later when they are beginning to close. Also feeding time. :)

7 comments:



Tales of Whimsy said...

Too cool! :) Great pics.

Meg said...

Awesome pics! Giraffes are amazing creatures...Masai giraffes love to drool...I should know...one almost made off with my sunglasses last summer at work :)

Glad you had a great time!

Heather Zundel said...

Juju - Thanks! I really do love photography, but animals are tricky sometimes.

Heather Zundel said...

Meg - They are, aren't they? Where on earth did you work last summer?!

Meg said...

I work weekends/summers at a zoo :) In the summers we have Zoo Camp for kids and one of the behind-the-scenes is with the giraffes. One was hand-raised so he LOVES people.

Heather Zundel said...

Meg - Oh my goodness! That is so cool! I may have to hit you up with animal questions some time (if you don't mind). You have no idea how super jealous I am right now.

Meg said...

Not a problem...I don't know everything, but I know enough random facts that can amuse people/answer questions :) I've got some hilarious stories to go along with them too!