Research Rocks.

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): Bring It On by Steven Curtis Chapman.



I love being a writer. Not only do we get to talk to some of the coolest cats in the neighborhood, we get to create and live in these amazing worlds for extended periods of time. And one of the best parts of all this is?


Research.


Now don't look at me funny (I know you are. I see you over there. Yes, you).


This is not your coma school-induced kind of research you may be thinking of. Research can be exciting. It can be thrilling. It can even be a tad bit dangerous.

What could I possibly be talking about that could make me giddy at the thought of studying, and doing research? (two very dangerous words, right there). Well, take for example waves and particles and the properties of light. That sounds about as boring as it gets. Oh contraire my friends. That will play an integral part in one of my stories and I need to know how light works. And really, if you think about it, there are light waves you can't see? How cool and weird is that?! Ah the possibilities...

But there are other things I would love to learn. I call them my "just in cases." Tell me, what do these two video clips have in common? (besides being hilarious and amazing?).







That's right. Fencing. Let me say that again because it makes me so happy. I get to learn fencing. My first lesson is tonight!

*squee!*


What an incredible adventure! And of course, you will be privy to all of my secret capers during this escapade. :) (I might even be able to make a video if I can get a friend to come along somehow...).

So now I get to learn how to make my fight scenes even more visceral and real (I've heard it is all in the wrist. I've also heard the footwork is a beast - which is why I love the fact Jack mentions it in Pirates). :) The funny thing is, I don't have any sword fights in my books yet (knife fights, yes. Sword fights? No). I may have to remedy that... So off to another adventure! This ones promises to be most thrilling. I told you research could be exciting.

11 comments:



Shannon O'Donnell said...

Fun! I think it would be awesome to learn fencing.

I love the Princess Bride, btw. :-)

Charlotte said...

Oh, that's so cool and exciting !! Have fun !

Unknown said...

I've always wanted to try fencing. Good for you!

Tere Kirkland said...

I'm with you on the research. Sometimes I get my best plot ideas that way. I really want to try a steampunk novel next, which will need a ton of research, but it should be fun!

Anonymous said...

This makes me want to write a story about skydiving or motorcycle racing. I'm sure my wife'll understand when I tell her I have to go do research... :)

Heather said...

Now that is the kind of research I could get behind. Sitting at the library for hours on end? Not so much. Also you'll have a present in your email tonight :)

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

That is AWESOME! I want to learn fencing too. Also those are two of my all time favorite movie scenes ever!!!

MissA said...

I love both movies you showed (although I didn't like the 2nd pirates), "My name is inigo montoya and you killed my father." for some reason that line always stays with me. Anyhoo, I actually really love research. When it's not math or science related so I totally get it (just not how researching light can be cool, sorry but I will not be agreeing anytime soon, haha).

Fencing seems like it would be soo fun! I'm jealous :) Have fun and hopefully we'll get a video! Wow, I can't wait to read this book knife fights and possibly sword fights and light? good stuff.

Heather Zundel said...

Shannon O'Donnell - The Princess Bride is one of the best movies ever.

Charlotte - Thank you! I will, and I will definitely be reporting back.

Elle Strauss - You should try it! What's stopping you? :)

Tere Kirkland - It's so true. Some of the best details I've added have come through experiencing them "head on" so to speak.

Simon - Oh yes. Please tell me how that goes over with your wife. :)

Heather - Oh yeah. And I got the present! Made me so happy. :)

Frankie - Mine too. I picked these because they are two of my favorite duels. A perfect blend of action and humor.

MissAttitude - We don't speak of the second or third Pirates (I consider them in an alternate universe entirely). And The Princess Bride is absolutely classic. And that's okay, I'll study light for the both of us. :) (And I can't wait for you to see this book either). Definitely good stuff all around. :)

Laura said...

Love the post. Research is probably one of my favorite parts and I probably do it more than I do writing, lol. The fencing lessons sound awesome. I did it for a semester in high school and loved it. I'm curious though... Is this just for research or are you planning on pursuing fencing as a hobby of sorts?

Heather Zundel said...

Laura - I never know where these whims take me. Who wouldn't want to continue sword fighting if given the chance? :)