Review - Flight, edited by Kazu Kibuishi

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): Crossing Open Water by Preston Reed.



Sometimes something comes along that is so stunning that it takes your breath away. That, in a word, is Flight.



Flight, edited by Kazu Kibuishi
Published: April 10, 2007
Publisher: Villard
Pages: 208
Current Amazon Rank: #124,349



First Line:

This quiet stillness
broken by a thundering storm
the roar of the engine
drowns everything out.




My Take: If you took a collection of short stories and mashed them into a graphic novel format, you would have Flight. But it is so much more than that simple description. Visually, it is something to be reckoned with. These artists really show what the graphic novel form can be. They stretch the boundaries of their art form and truly show that it is indeed art.























Most of these stories in this first volume are based around the idea of flight, not just physical flight, but also of imagination and possibility. In fact one of my favorite stories in here is called "The Maiden and the River Spirit" and is a hilarious commentary on Aesop's fables. There are 24 stories, and all are a delight to read. The best news of all is that it is a semi-ongoing series, and each volume continues to get better and better. An absolute treasure for any personal collection, this is one book I would definitely recommend.


The Final Word: Beautiful, imaginative and stunning, this series is incredibly fun and a perfect dose if you want something wonderful to read, but don't always have the time. It is also a wonderful introduction to graphic novels for those who want to get into it, but don't know where to begin.



And as a post script, many wonderful thanks to Charlotte from The Book on the Hill for her "The Illustrator" drawings! I won a contest over there, so you are all very lucky to have a custom illustration to accompany my next five reviews! Thanks Charlotte!


9 comments:



GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

The Flight collections are amazing. I think they are all beautifully done and great for graphic novel fans or readers wanting to start on graphic novels and aren't sure where to start.

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

That cover is GORGEOUS!!! Wow! Im intrigued...

Heather Zundel said...

GreenBeanTeenQueen - You've read Flight too? Can I tell you how awesome that is? It's like discovering sliced bread, only to find your neighbor discovered the same thing! (okay, really bad example, but you kinda get the idea, right?). :)

Frankie - It is beautiful. Really, it's worth buying. I really don't think you'll be disappointed (I wasn't wrong on Blackmore's Night, was I?) :)

brizmus said...

I SO have to check this out!! It just looks so beautiful and amazing and awesome!

Unknown said...

Oh, wow. I've never even heard of this one before, but it looks really really good.

Heather Zundel said...

Brizmus - It is all of those things rolled into one delicious bundle of prettiness.

Beth - It is. I'm slowly trying to acquire this entire series. So pretty. Serious eye candy.

Alysa Stewart said...

Sounds intriguing. I'll have to check it out!

Charlotte said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the sketch ! The Flight collection does sound interesting, thank you so much for sharing !

Heather Zundel said...

Alysa - Do, but my library at least doesn't have it. A cryin' shame, if you ask me.

Charlotte - I love the sketch.