FebSESSD and a Contest of EPIC Proportions

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): Don't Stop Believing by Journey.




First, my craziness. For the month of February I am going to write a short story every day for a month. Eat your heart out Scheherazade (okay, she has three years plus on me, so never mind). I chose February because HEY! It's the shortest month of the year! Woot. Is that cheating? Of course not. *glances around* Anyone who wants to participate is more than welcome to. In fact, I would seriously love it, and I would love to feature any short stories you write on my blog. I want to do this because I honestly feel that writing short stories can greatly help improve your craft (for you writers out there) and plus, they are a lot of fun to read, especially if you don't have time for a full novel (for all you readers out there). It's like a bite-sized morsel of joy. ^_^ I'm tentatively calling it: February Seems Empty so Short Stories Every Day (no exceptions!) Month, or FebSESSD (like obsessed) for short. If you have any other names, please tell me. Acronyms were never my strong suit. Am I hoping this gets as big as NaNoWriMo? Oh heavens no. That sounds absolutely terrifying. But I do think it's going to be a lot of fun and I would love the company on this venture. Why does this feel like the YA Fantasy Showdown all over again?...


But now onto the contest!



And that's all I could do. I ran out of room on my monitor. There's even more than that, but it gives you an idea of what is in store for you.



This is it. The moment you've all been waiting for. A contest so big, I am honestly a bit nervous for my postal bill. But that's okay, because I figure, if you're going to do something, might as well make it epic, right? Guts and glory! And all those inside tummy things.



I am giving away books. A LOT of books. Because as much as I love them, I have no where to put them (Literally. It is a dance to not knock things over in my room). So though we are parting, but I know they are going to good homes. Why? Because the book blogosphere has some of the most awesome people alive out there. Yes, better than lemon bars or sliced bread (oh, you know it). And the best part is, there are a couple of ways to win big.




All you have to do is get followers over here (because who doesn't like more friends?). :) You following? That totally counts. You refer someone else? Extra point for you. But it is not “ye who gets the most followers wins” Oh no. You can win as much as you want. I love lists, so we'll break it down thusly:


If you get -

10 followers over here = A poem or short story of your choice written for you. Anything you want.

25 followers = 1 book of your choice

40 followers = 3 books of your choice

60 followers = 5 books of your choice

75 followers = 7 books of your choice

100 followers = I don't know yet, but it is going to have to be something very epic.



I don't care how you get them over here (facebook and twitter are great resources. They're your friends, so they'll forgive you for bugging them, and plus, then they are automatically put into the running too. Thus the love spreads), but if they put your name/email address (or any way of identifying you so their point goes to you and not someone else) in the spreadsheet below -or email it directly to me (heatherzundel AT gmail [dot] com)- you are on your way to winning some very sweet prizes, all of your choosing.







But that's not all.


In conjunction with this contest, there is going to be a separate, UBER prize pack, filled with books, signed book posters, and swag galore. Every time my followers jumps up to a certain level, another book and/or some awesome book-like treat will be added to the stockpile. How will I determine what each new “level” will be? (Are you ready for my total nerd to break out?) :) … The Fibonacci Sequence, baby.

You've never heard of Fibonacci's Sequence? *jaw drops* It's only my favorite part in all mathematics (and I'm none too fond of math, by the way). Simply put, you add one number with the previous number to get the new number. So it starts out 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13.... (1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5,... and it can go on forever. Sooooooooo cool) Fine, you don't have to geek out with me, but I sure am. It's random like pi, but makes total sense! And it also shows perfection/order in nature. See?










Okay, geekie rant done.



But how it relates to you is every time my follower box reaches a Fibonacci milestone, something new is added to the mix. So you are gonna get a lot of stuff right out of the gate (I mean, I get one follower and there's already two books into the booty. You can't get much more sweet than that). But as the numbers go up, the prizes get bigger. Like, I have an exclusive Catching Fire t-shirt and pin that were released only for the promotion of the second book, completely new and waiting for you. I also have several signed books and book posters I'm throwing in as well (and other awesome swag). Plus there may or may not be a Dr. Seuss plush involved. Epic doesn't even begin to cover this.

Here is the Fibonacci milestone breakdown


1
1
2
3
5
13
21
34
55
89
144
233
377
610
...


So remember, that is for overall followers. So working together gets you to prizes of awesome too (Yay teamwork!). But I will put in the caveat that the referenced followers get first pick of the books, so if you want a guaranteed prize, that is definitely the way to go.


Go forth! And good luck everyone! I honestly have never been more excited for a contest in my life. And hopefully this month of me floundering for a short story a day will bring great amusement to you. There may be cartoons involved.





Contest ends February 28th Midnight PST.

22 comments:



Vanessa said...

Super fun contest!

Amy said...

What an awesome contest!! I geek out over things, too - usually it's spreadsheets!! lol

S (Book Purring) said...

Truly epic contest. Also, I got lost with the Fibo sequence... haha :P

Tales of Whimsy said...

You amazing giving generous girl! You go with your bad self! Fantastic contest. And while I'm not entering I wish you and the participants oooodles of luck!

Ellz said...

Great contest! Good luck growing your numbers!

Okie said...

Cool contest...though I'm not much of an advertiser so I doubt I'll be in the running.

I am super stoked though to see your posts for Feb-Sessed...sounds like an absolutely awesome idea. If I had the time/energy/time/time, I'd definitely participate, but frankly I have a hard time getting a weekly short story on my blog.

Still, best of luck to you and I really look forward to reading what you share with us. Have fun. :)

Beverly said...

Great contest - got it up on my blog! Hope you get a ton of followers!

Mona said...

Very generous contest. I'm a new follower via GFC(MonaG).

monagarg@yahoo.com

Naj said...

This is a new turn to getting new followers! :D Thanks a bunch for this! :D I am a new follower and will be stalking!

Michelle said...

Hi! I'm a new follower, and this contest sounds amazing!!

Here's my email

peep6000@comcast.net

I'm gonna start to get some followers!!!

Michelle said...

Lol, i told everyone on my FB and twitter to come over here and sign up so I can get some free books!

Christina Farley said...

Why was I not a follower? Weird. Anyway, I am now!!!! Yippee! And what a fabulous, amazing, brilliant contest.

Judy said...

Great contest. I am a new follower-judy. I am not an advertiser either, just nominated someone.


Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]

Anonymous said...

AWESOME contest! Yeah, lost me at the math thing. LOL Math was the worst subject for me, wish I was better at it though.

I am a new follower. :-)

meanmisskittie[at]gmail[dot]com

nfmgirl said...

Hey! A geek girl pushing a mathematical theory and giving away books. It just can't get any better than that!

nfmgirl AT gmail DOT com

Laura Hartness said...

I love Fibonacci!! That is so cool!

Laura Hartness

HeatherLovesBooks said...

Awesome contest! Fibonacci - cool!

HeatherLovesBooks

Unknown said...

Great contest but I'm new at the game and there is a whole lotta stuff I'm still learning & only have 12 followers so I probably won't be in the running either. I havn't found your email subscribby thing yet, If I don't then you don't have this feature and to people like me this is the number one, most important feature out of all of them ;) please put it on your blog page.

Kristen My Bookish Fairy Tale said...

Amazing giveaway!!! No One referred me I stumbled on you and glad I did!!

kristen_babygurl@hotmail.com

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Holy wow! I am already a follower, but Theresa Milstein gave me the heads up w/ her FB post.

I have it on my sidebar and on my FB wall. :-)

Meadowlark Layne said...

I heart the way your brain works. I seriously got a smile when you said Fibonacci and I have to say that was a pretty damn elegant explanation of it as well. This sounds like a fun little game, count me in! Love your blog. I do.

I've tweeted and posted in my sidebar:
http://aurelmedia.wordpress.com

Will try and put up a post this weekend if I find some time between moving. Le sigh.

Bex @ Aurelia {Lit}

Carla said...

Fibonacci is great! I came over from Shannon's blog (Book Dreaming).

Carla