Fencing is hard.

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): April Pearl by What Time Is It, Mr. Fox?



I love trying new things. Because now I hurt in new ways that I possibly couldn't imagine. Ibuprofen, you are my best friend. Who knew that in fencing you are supposed to be in a semi-crouched position the whole time you're fighting? I'm remembering my (much) younger days in karate. Hurt back then too.

Also, never ever underestimate the weight of a two pound sword. That doesn't seem like much, but hold that baby up for two hours and you've got a paradigm shift on pain. I have a new appreciation for fencers all over the world. The first week we didn't even touch a foil. We just used our hands and pretended they were swords (that was really funny *swish swish - stab!*). After that first night of just holding up my hand, I thought I was going to die. Then add the foil and wow. (However, the first time I held the sword in my hand, it was the coolest feeling in the world. It was like we bonded. I couldn't stop grinning). It is getting a lot better now. Last night, my arm almost didn't hurt at all. Also, swords are longer than you think, really. Don't swish them around. Funny and stupid things happen then.

Let's see...

~Hollywood-style fencing is not like real fencing. You face a smaller target and fights with much smaller movements. The moves look great, but with all the swishing and flailing, it leaves you wide open and then - stab!

~Hollywood fencing is still really cool in my book. I'm not giving up my Princess Bride fight scenes anytime soon.

~Girls - always always wear bobby pins for your bangs. You may look stupid, but when you pull your mask off to shake hands with your opponent for the seven-hundredth time, you'll thank me.

~It's weird looking out through black mesh while you're fighting, but it hides any strange expressions on your face you might be making while you are concentrating - thus making you look a lot cooler. :)

~I wear a size 42 jacket (that's pretty small). Guess how I remember it? Think Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Yep. It's the answer to everything, even my jacket size.

~Girls, make sure to wear cups. Just saying.

~Only the white area of the torso counts as a hit. Neck, mask, and arms are "off target." Guess where I happen to hit with surprising frequency?



I only have one week left in class, and hopefully I can sneak someone in next week to take video of me. I'm sure I think I look a lot cooler than I really am. So hopefully this will be a WriterGirl epic-win video instead of a WriterGirl embarass-herself epic fail. But hey, even if we all get a good laugh, it's all good. :) Then we can appreciate the real masters all the more for it.

9 comments:



Unknown said...

I've always thought it would be cool to try fencing. Maybe it's just one of those glamourous ideas like flight attending (or writing). :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. It does sound like it's harder than it looks, (um, also like writing?)

I'd love to see a video!

Heather said...

I pretty much need to see a video of you fencing. How cool that you've been doing this!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how cool. I'm jealous! Of course, the Scots never cared much for the fine art of fencing. we invented the claymore sword for a reason, you know.... :)

Shannon Messenger said...

Yep--I NEED a video of this. Not want. NEED! Please make this happen. Your tired, CP is BEGGING YOU!

(Also, sorry I haven't been by in a bit. I know you know why, but I still feel bad. I will catch up on my blog hopping someday...)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

This sounds so difficult - but totally cool. Thanks for sharing it with us. :-)

Vanessa said...

Fun times. My husband took fencing for a few months and he was in a world of hurt every week, too.

Vanessa said...

Fun times. My husband took fencing for a few months and he was in a world of hurt every week, too.

Vanessa said...

Fun times. My husband took fencing for a few months and he was in a world of hurt every week, too.

Heather Zundel said...

Elle Strauss - Haha, it really is true isn't it? Almost everything looks glamorous from a distance. I keep watching the Olympics, thinking "I totally want to do that. It looks amazing" without thinking of the work it took to get there.

Heather - Trust me, if I can at all manage it, everyone will definitely be getting a video.

Simon C. Larter - Hee. That's so funny. I didn't know you were a Scot (though honestly I'm not surprised). :)

Shannon Messenger - Ha! You and your love of my videos. I really should stop mentioning the possibility of them. At least you're begging this time instead of demanding. I'll see what I can do. :)

Shannon O'Donnell - You're welcome! Hopefully vids will be coming soon.

NotNessie - Oh good. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel like such a weakling. :)