Feature Fun Friday - Banned Books Week 2009

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): Quixote by Bond.


It's that wonderful time of year again - Banned Books Week starts tomorrow! I would highly recommend that you go out and find a banned or challenged book and read it. I believe this is a very important week, to not only recognize our incalculable freedom we have, but also to increase our understanding - of everything. Some of my absolute favorite books have been banned or challenged. The Giver (for promoting infanticide), To Kill a Mockingbird (for language and it's portrayal of blacks), and most ironically, Fahrenheit 451 (for numerous reasons).

I think books are often banned/challenged because oftentimes they have something to offer, a certain depth to them. They have different ideas, which I think is one of the most important reasons to find a banned book and read it. So here is a very funny video to help kick-off Banned Books Week. It's extremely well done and made me laugh more than once (and my favorite comment to this video on YouTube by far is "I don't like this video. Ban it."). Have a fantastic weekend everyone! Go have an adventure of your own - go read a banned book.

2 comments:



Shannon Messenger said...

There's been A LOT of talk about this on Twitter. Have you read Ellen Hopkins' poem Simon & Schuster is using for their campaign? Here's a link if you want to check it out.

http://www.simonandschuster.com/admin_assets/1423_Banned_Book_Poem.pdf

Heather Zundel said...

Shannon - Thanks for the link. I have heard about this.