Taking on Twilight

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): Africa by Toto.


I did something daring and stupid. And fun. Over at The Last Word, I entered a contest to rewrite Twilight. You know, of the Stephenie Meyer persuasion. :) The contest was to write 500 words of a story using the first line from Twilight as inspiration. How could I pass up this challenge to tackle the mega-super-awesome-all-star of Stephenie Meyer?

But for all the Twi-hards out there, can anyone tell me what the first line of Twilight is? It's rather unextraordinary if taken by itself. Any guesses? Okay, I'll tell you. :)

My mother drove me to the airport with the windows rolled down.

Yep, that's it. The book that started a firestorm of screaming girls out in mass droves started with those humble beginnings. And what an appropriate pre-start to the Halloween season! (besides all my nudges for filling Halloween with literary characters). ;)

There are nine entries in all, but I'm a bit hesitant to tell you which is mine for fear of sounding of tooting my own horn. There are some really good entries (#5 is my favorite - and no, that's not mine). One even tried to literally rewrite Twilight, setting up the same situation and everything. It made for an interesting entry.

You can vote for your three favorites by October 2nd (Friday) at 8:00 PM, central time. If you do want a hint, mine is in the same place where my last name would be. ;) Head over there for some fun entries. I certainly thought it was a fun spur-of-the-moment writing piece to create.

I took on the YA goddess of vampires. You can decide if I won that battle or not. :)

2 comments:



Shannon Messenger said...

Hmm...I always thought the first line of Twilight was "I'd never given much thought to how I would die--though I'd had reason enough to in the last few months--but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this" (sadly, I did most of that from memory, though I've only read the book twice). But that's from the preface so I guess you guys didn't count that? Anyway, can't wait to read what you came up with.

Heather Zundel said...

Yep, it's from the first chapter which I suppose you could argue is the first page or not. It would be fun to see an opening line contest for the prologue too. There's a lot of potential in that line.