Feature Fun Friday - The Raven read by James Earl Jones

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): This is Halloween by Danny Elfman [The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack].


Ooooh, this is cool. Nothing says Halloween more than Edgar Allen Poe and "The Raven" is classic. But combine the literary heights of "The Raven" with the awesomeness of James Earl Jones? It becomes something like pie - the perfect combination of flaky and tender and abounding in flavor bursting in your mouth. In a word - genius. You can just close your eyes and imagine Darth Vader or Mufasa is reading this and it enters a whole new realm of cool. No actual video this time, but that's okay. Just listen while surfing other places. Happy Halloween everyone. Only one more week to go, and next week's is going to be really fun (and scary). :) Have fun everyone and make this weekend a great one.



6 comments:



Tales of Whimsy said...

O I LUV his voice.

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

This is Halloween! Great song!!

Shannon Messenger said...

Very cool and sent shivers down my spine. Incidentally--have you ever seen a Raven? I hadn't until this year at the Tower of London and those things are HUGE. They're like crows on steroids--and they totally freaked me out, so that's what I kept picturing as I listened. *shudders*

Heather Zundel said...

Juju - He has such a classic voice. So recognizable.

Frankie - You know it! I have all of the lyrics (and most of the movie) memorized. I love Jack Skellington. ^_^

Shannon - Believe it or not, I have. They're everywhere here. and they're GINORMOUS! They are the size of a hawk or small eagle, I'm not kidding. I always thought they were crows because I thought crows were bigger. Nope, not so. One almost pooped on my head once. THAT was a frightening experience. If you know the size of a raven, it makes the poem all that much freakier.

Cara Powers said...

I did see this one on YouTube when I was looking for the version I posted. I like the video, but I didn't think JEJ really got it right. You're right that thinking of him as Darth Vader does give me new perspective.

Heather Zundel said...

Cara - I don't think he got it right either, which is weird, because I think he is more than capable of doing so. I wonder if you could edit Darth Vader's classic breathing in... interesting...