The Katniss costume comes together

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): Harbor by Vienna Teng.


It's here! All the pieces are here! With the arrival of the my hooded, thigh-length black coat, all the puzzle pieces for my Katniss Everdeen costume are finally complete. Confetti and those blowy horns.

A glimpse of it, sans me. :)



Tawny pants - check. I chose corduroy because I wanted a really tough fabric that had an interesting texture. It was actually harder than I expected to find a true "tawny" color, but I did eventually. Another reasons slacks were just flat out.

Black, hooded coat that comes to thighs - check. It's thin, but also made of a sturdy fabric, something you might logically find/use in the wilderness. I wanted to make an outfit that could realistically use if this were real, and not something that was just a cheap imitation. Plus, I got a cool coat out of it I can use come winter. :)

Light green shirt - check.

Leather boots, rubber sole - check. I'm very proud of this one. Not only is it impossible to find boots without heels nowadays, I really like the twist I found. Suzanne Collins never said that the boots were lined with fur, but she never said they weren't either. It was a logical decision. If out in the wilderness, I can easily see these being a part of the issue. And I love the leather criss crosses. So this was a bit of creative license on my part, but I think it is more real than say just a plain leather boot. And it looks really cool.


But even cooler than all this is that I've found a post on how to go about creating and making your own book character costumes. And it is from none other than YAthenaeum, one of the blogs I nominated for an award just yesterday. It's fate, it's destiny. It just plain rocks. Their tutorial is so much better than my own creative attempt a week or so back. They made a Bertie costume from Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev and it is incredible. Shameless plugging and squeeing love is abounding.


But possibly even cooler than all this combined? Purple potatoes. Yep, not kidding. Look at these babies, straight from my garden!


If America doesn't have a national vegetable, I vote it be the purple potato. Don't forget to ask any question you want to know about me. I think I've got five left. I swear on my life to answer completely and honestly. Hero's oath of honor.

9 comments:



Briana said...

Wow that is an awesome costume! I love those boots! They look so warm. That is really cool. And purple potatoes!?! That is amazing! I second the vote that they should be the National Vegie!

-Arielle

Unknown said...

You are officially the coolest person I know.

Heather Zundel said...

B.A.M - I had them with a roast tonight. It was awesome. (I love the boots too. And they are really warm). ^_^

Beth - *blush* :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

You are going as Katniss? HOW COOOL! I am in LOVE with the boots.

PJ Hoover said...

Very cool costume! And the purple potatoes are made of awesome! I'll vote for them.

Heather Zundel said...

Juju - I KNOW. I am so loving it. I can't even tell you how excited I am to be dressing up as the coolest of the cool, miss Katniss Everdeen. Completely stoked about it.

PJ - Thanks. And I'm glad you'd vote for them. That's three now. We can start a revolution!

Anonymous said...

purple potoatoes! I love The Hungerr GAMES!

Anonymous said...

Where did you buy everything? Purple potatoes forever!

Anonymous said...

i totaly looooooooooovvvvvvvve your costume i have been looking for one for a while now my self