Monday's Muse, 2nd edition.

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): What Have I Done by Anna Ternheim.


This was originally an idea from Au Courant started in March, an idea she has graciously let me run with.

The idea is to introduce you to unknown, forgotten, or overlooked fiction that has been lost from regular radar. I am WriterGirl. I am in the business of saving lives, one book at a time.

What I do is go to amazon, narrow it down to a YA field and type in a random word, any word that comes to mind. I then take a sampling of some I have never heard of before, or only vaguely heard of (and hopefully you as well). No infringement is intended for any description I take for the books. It's purely for promotional reasons. I will try and cover as many genres as possible that are fitting for the random word. Simple but it really uncovers some incredible gems. I will be doing this every other Monday. If there are any words you want to prompt me with, go ahead and fire away.


Today's random word:
Haunt.



I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder.

Girl meets boy.

Girl loses boy.

Girl gets boy back...

...sort of.

Ava can't see him or touch him, unless she's dreaming. She can't hear hisvoice, except for the faint whispers in her mind. Most would think she'scrazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson. The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with. He's back from the dead, as proof that love truly knows no bounds. But can she have a ghost for a boyfriend for the rest of her life?



The Widow's Broom by Chris Van Allsburg

"Witches' brooms don't last forever. They grow old, and even the best of them, one day, lose the power of flight.... On very rare occasions, however, a broom can lose its power without warning, and fall, with its passenger, to the earth below ... which is just what happened one cold autumn night many years ago." So begins The Widow's Broom, the gentle, strangely captivating book by Chris Van Allsburg, who received Caldecott medals for Jumanji and The Polar Express.

The story gets under way when the lonely widow Minna Shaw finds a wounded, sky-fallen witch in her vegetable garden. The witch disappears before dawn, but leaves her old, presumably defunct broom behind. Minna begins to use it around the house and finds that "it was no better or worse than brooms she'd used before." However, one morning, Minna sees the broom sweeping by itself! Opportunistically, she trains it to chop wood and fetch water.

When the neighbors find out about this "wicked, wicked thing" (posing as an innocent, hardworking broom), they accost the widow and demand that the broom be burned. Are they successful in separating the lonely widow and her diligently sweeping friend? This is a wonderfully suspenseful book to read aloud and young listeners will earnestly hope for the broom's survival. Still, older, wiser readers, ages 8 and older, will be swept up in the story, too.



A Troubled Peace by L. M. Elliott


March 1945

World War II may be ending, but for nineteen-year-old pilot Henry Forester the conflict still rages. Shot down behind enemy lines in France, Henry endured a dangerous trek to freedom, relying on the heroism of civilians and Resistance fighters to stay alive. But back home in Virginia, Henry is still reliving air battles with Hitler's Luftwaffe and his torture by the Gestapo. Mostly, Henry can't stop worrying about the safety of those who helped him escape—especially one French boy, Pierre, who, because of Henry, may have lost everything.

When Henry returns to France to find Pierre, he is stunned by the brutal after-math of combat: starvation, cities shattered by Allied bombing, and the shocking return of concentration camp survivors. Amid the rubble of war, Henry must begin a daring search for a lost boy—plus a fight to regain his own internal peace and the trust of the girl he loves.

L. M. Elliott's sequel to Under a War-Torn Sky is an astonishing account of surviving the fallout from war.

5 comments:



Tales of Whimsy said...

O I love the sound of the 2nd one :)

Shannon Messenger said...

I really love this idea. So many books get forgotten so it's nice to bring them back into the spotlight.

Oh, BTW-Contest is going on my blog and the winner gets to pick the prize (which means Dreamdark could be the one to go!) I know how strongly you feel about that so I wanted to make sure you don't miss the chance to enter. :)

Kirthi said...

The first one sounds so sad! I heart you, you haunt me. It's so sad how she loses her boyfriend!
I've got the Widow's Broom and I'm going to read it soon! thanks for all the suggestions.

Heather Zundel said...

Juju - I know. And just in time for Halloween. I think I'm going to sneak over to my library to see if they have it.

Shannon - Thanks! That really is my goal. There are so many great books out there that no one really knows about.

Kiki - That one has a lot of really good reviews. It is told in verse too, I believe, which greatly intrigues me. Tell me how Widow's Broom is! And you are most welcome. I'm heading over to your blog now.

Shannon Messenger said...

Hey Heather, guess what?!? TAG! You're It!

http://ramblingsofawannabescribe.blogspot.com/2009/10/frankie-tagged-me-abcs-of-shannon.html