National Poetry Day, my contribution.

Current Theme Song (aka what's playing on my ipod right now): Fur Elise by Beethoven.


Thursday was National Poetry Day in the UK and Kate and Shannon Messenger have already contributed their entries. Kate is on the poppies and why we buy them in remembrance of our fallen soldiers, and Shannon's is a limerick and a very clever one (despite anything she says). She has also written a haiku on heroes, which I think is very beautiful (she is also holding a jaw-dropping contest over at her blog. I would more than highly check it out).

This is my entry. The theme was Heroes and Heroines. Here I present my first public showing of poetry ever -



Heroes and Heroines.
by Heather Zundel


Spartans raiding, death in glory
Beowulf defeats the monster Grendel.
Gilgamesh seeks for immortality
while Theseus battles the Minotaur.
Orpheus sings a song
to bring back the dead
Psyche - three impossible tasks
to appease a goddess
and win her husband back.
A handful of stones against a giant.
These mark a hero's name.

Firefighters into a burning building
never to come out again.
A song, a lullaby in the night
to chase away the nightmares into another day.
Often the hinges of the world
turn less by the clatter of steel
and instead by the rocking of a cradle.
A solider on top of a grenade
watching his fellows.
A friend, a call, a hand
to stop of the pills of death.
These too mark a hero's name.

A thousand faces, a single name
Sacrifice. At cost to themselves
marks their steps to immortality.
And even if the name is given
by only a single heart
that name is well bestowed.

3 comments:



Shannon Messenger said...

You are WAY too kind to me Heather...but I'll allow it. *winks* Your poem puts mine to SHAME. Love it. Oh, and thanks for blurbing my contest. That definitely wins you a free art print (but you still need to post it in a comment on my blog so no one can call shenanigans on me!) Email me and we'll figure out which print you want.

Kate said...

Ohhhhhhh, I love it! It's so beautifully written. You have a real talent for poetry.

Heather Zundel said...

Kate - thank you. I mean that sincerely.